Saturday, December 19, 2009

Why doulas and do they make a difference?

I thought I'd just take a minute and talk about the studies that support doula use.

When I'm asked about doulas, often people ask why doulas are important, and doesn't the medical staff do the same thing? Why add a doula?

Here is a good list summarizing what the medical literature says about doulas. You might find this interesting.

So the question I always ask is, what if there were something that can shorten labors, make it possible for fewer medical interventions, increase maternal satisfaction and increase breastfeeding? Wouldn't it be something everyone should have, regardless of income or ability to pay? And think about it - if you have a medical system that already complains of cost and unnecessary procedures, wouldn't it make sense to try to cut those costs? I think so.

No comments: